Thursday, September 14, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 71


Old age sneaks up on you. One day you are a young man and then you wake up and are suddenly facing old age. In the course of our lives we see much change. Some of it is in ourselves. Old age is not all that kind to the human body. But we also see change in the culture around us and some of it is good, but some of it is not. The world we live in is nothing like the one I grew up in. It can be daunting to grow old. But one thing never changes. Hebrews 13:8 reminds us that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” This is good news. No matter where we are in the process of aging, we can know that God does not change. Psalm 71 is good psalm to pray through as we age. It reminds us that we have an anchor. We have the Rock of Salvation and a fortress to take refuge.

Psalm 71:1-3
In you, O LORD, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame!  In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me!  Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.

Many of us wait until our older years to seek Christ. But no matter where we are in age, He is our hope.

Psalm 71:5-6
For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth.  Upon you I have leaned from before my birth; you are he who took me from my mother’s womb. My praise is continually of you.

The longer we live, the more battles we will have faced. It is easy to get weary. It is easy to get battle fatigue. The enemy wants to cut off our supply line to God. But we must stay focused on Him. We must pray without ceasing and seek Him out.

Psalm 71:9-11
Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent.  For my enemies speak concerning me; those who watch for my life consult together  and say, “God has forsaken him; pursue and seize him, for there is none to deliver him.”

Maybe this morning you are fearful, or just weary and worn down. Call out to God.

Psalm 71:12
O God, be not far from me; O my God, make haste to help me!

Look back at the many times God has carried you through. He has.

Psalm 71:14-19
But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge.  With the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone.  O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds.  So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. Your righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You who have done great things, O God, who is like you?

Ask God to revive you again. Then praise His great name to all.

Psalm 71:20-24
You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.  You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.  I will also praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praises to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel.  My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed.  And my tongue will talk of your righteous help all the day long, for they have been put to shame and disappointed who sought to do me hurt.


Change is inevitable. And that change brings fear and worry. No matter how old you are, the answer is the same. Give it all to God. Put your hope in Jesus. He never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment