Thursday, June 29, 2017

Studies in Psalms - Psalm 9


The life of the Christian is a life of growth. From the moment of our new birth, we are like babies. Through the years as we feed on His Word we grow in many ways, like a baby who learns to crawl and then walk, we learn new things as well. One of the areas in my life I just never feel right about is my worship. The more I read the scriptures, the longer I spend time in prayer with God, and the longer I see God move in my life, the more I long to give back to God my whole-hearted worship. Psalm 9 begins with that theme.

Psalm 9:1-2
I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

David writes in this psalm many reasons why he gives thanks to God with his whole heart. He remembers the wonderful deeds God has done in his life. As Christians, we have many things to look back on that our God has given to us. Just as David does, we must be glad in Him, exulting Him, and singing praise to His name.

Most of us here have never faced true persecution, though in many places in the world Christians fear for their lives just for being Christ’s. Sometimes God turns back our enemies.

Psalm 9:3
When my enemies turn back, they stumble and perish before your presence.

David knew that one way or another, God’s justice would prevail and we can stand in faith knowing the same thing.

Psalm 9:4-6
For you have maintained my just cause; you have sat on the throne, giving righteous judgment. You have rebuked the nations; you have made the wicked perish; you have blotted out their name forever and ever. The enemy came to an end in everlasting ruins; their cities you rooted out; the very memory of them has perished.

But even when it seems the unrighteous are running this world, we can trust they are not and that judgment will one day come. So, until then we must rest in Him.

Psalm 9:9-10
The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

The answer to what to do when the enemy appears to have us surrounded, is to stay committed to prayer and praise.

Psalm 9:11-14
Sing praises to the LORD, who sits enthroned in Zion! Tell among the peoples his deeds!
For he who avenges blood is mindful of them; he does not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Be gracious to me, O LORD! See my affliction from those who hate me, O you who lift me up from the gates of death, that I may recount all your praises, that in the gates of the daughter of Zion I may rejoice in your salvation.

God does not forget those who have humbled themselves before Him.

Psalm 9:18
For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.

Stay the course Christian, even when the enemy is at hand. David’s prayer reminds us of the coming day of the return of Christ. To the nations who choose to stay in their own pit; judgement is coming. To those who put their faith in Christ and submit to Him; peace that transcends all understanding.


Psalm 9:19-20
Arise, O LORD! Let not man prevail; let the nations be judged before you!
Put them in fear, O LORD! Let the nations know that they are but men! Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment