Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Studies in Psalms- Psalm 6


Reacting To the Lord's Discipline

It’s easy to look out at the world around us and see the depths of sin that runs rampant. It’s even easy to look at those closest to us; family, friends, and even fellow church members and observe their sins. But what about ourselves? Do we see the brokenness and the sin in our own life? Romans 3:23 says that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Peter tells us that “the time has come for judgment to begin with God’s household” and this certainly must apply to self. Psalm 6 is known as a penitential psalm, one of seven found in the Bible. These are psalms in which the writer is experiencing discipline and suffering related to their sin.

While many Christians are uncomfortable with the idea that sometimes suffering is a result of our own sin, the truth of God’s Word is that God does discipline His children. Hebrews 12:4-6 explains this truth, saying that “In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.”

If you are God’s, He will not let you just rest in your sin. Like any good father, He wants what’s best for you. Discipline is good for us. But God’s discipline can be hard. Here we find David crying out to God in response to His discipline.

Psalm 6:1-3
O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath. Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am languishing; heal me, O LORD, for my bones are troubled. My soul also is greatly troubled. But you, O LORD—how long?

Yes, God’s discipline can seem unbearable. We see that it can bring pain and sickness to us. So, what do we do when we are under God’s hand of discipline? Confess, repent, and then go to Him in prayer seeking His grace.

David knows he must turn to God in this time, not turn away.

Psalm 6:4-5
Turn, O LORD, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?

Unlike us, David did not have access to all the promises of scripture, so he expected his death would separate Him from God. But we know that Jesus has overcome the grave and for those who put faith in Christ’s sacrifice, death will bring us to God, not take us away.

Again, notice the depths of David’s sorrow.

Psalm 6:6-7
I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping. My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes.

But David hears from God in this prayer. He sees the coming dawn after the storm.

Psalm 6:8-10
Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping. The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD accepts my prayer. All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

If you are Christ’s, then God does hear your plea. He will accept your prayer. But God will allow the work of his discipline accomplish His will. He will move in His time, for our Father knows just exactly what it is we need to grow in our suffering.

Sometime it seems as if Satan has beaten you. He has not. Because of what Jesus accomplished at the cross we can know that Satan is but a tool in the hand of God. He can only go as far as God allows him to. Colossians 2:13-15 explains that you, “who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.”


Our sins are forgiven. But for our own good we still must face the consequences of our sin and we must accept the discipline of the Lord as necessary to help us grow more like Christ. The devil and his demons cannot harm you. For a better understanding read the Book of Job. In the end, God restored everything Satan took and blessed him even more. But we must trust the work of our Father. The next time you face adversity instead of asking, “why is this happening?”, ask “What dear Father, will you do in this that will make me more like Jesus and bring glory to God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment