Friday, June 23, 2017

Studies in Psalms-Psalm 3

Starting the Day With God 

This life is hard and honestly, without my faith in Christ and my hope in Him for a day when all the tears and sorrows will be taken away for all eternity, I don’t know how I would carry on. David was no different than I or even you.  Many of the Psalms were written by him and if you know David, you know he struggled with depression.

But the truth is, most of our problems are the results of choices we make. The past lingers on in the reaping of what has been sowed. Psalm 3 is the first Psalm we know David wrote. It is a prayer. We can learn much from this short prayer of David.

This is a morning psalm. Written by David as he was fleeing the loss of his throne to his own son, Absalom, David has risen in the morning with fear and concern. We can all relate to those times. So, what does David do? He starts the day off right by seeking God. And he gets right to it.

Psalm 3:1-2
O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. Selah

Immediately his prayer calls to his Lord. Sometimes we need to be urgent in our prayers. David cries out to God confessing his troubles. Then watch what happens. Faith kicks in and David credits God for being his protector. We can do the same.

Psalm 3:3-4
But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

David continues to pray in faith. James 5:15-16 reminds us that “the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.” This is how to pray.

David also knows that it is an imperative to start our morning immediately with God.

Psalm 3:5-6
I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me round about.

Find your strength in God who can and does protect us.

Psalm 3:7-8
Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God! For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek; You have shattered the teeth of the wicked. Salvation belongs to the LORD; Your blessing be upon Your people! Selah.


-->
Whatever you face each day, start off in prayer, praise, and confession to God. He has provided in the past and He will take care of those who humbly come before Him, knowing that it is He who will provide. He is the great Jehovah-Jireh. The Lord will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment