Tuesday, January 6, 2015

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - January 6, 2015 - Day 143 - Psalm 143


If David were alive today I am sure he would be given the diagnosis of Bi-Polar Manic depression. Being one who possesses that title, I can relate to David. He suffers so often from despair. At times he seems about ready to give up. He sins and he knows it. He hates his sin and he longs for more for himself in terms of holiness. Often David feels alone. Often David feels desperation and fear. Yet in the blink of an eye he turns from his depression and seeks God. He worships and praises. He finds his solace in God and is a man of faith. He prays as if it’s the very breath he lives on. Psalm 143 is but one more example of why God calls David “a man after His own heart.”

Psalm 143:1
A PSALM OF DAVID. Hear my prayer, O LORD; give ear to my pleas for mercy! In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!

David does not appeal to God on the basis of his own righteousness but on the basis of God’s.

Psalm 143:2
Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you.

Paul would echo this thought in Romans 3:10 saying “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.”

Psalm 143:3-4
For the enemy has pursued my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground; he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead. Therefore my spirit faints within me; my heart within me is appalled.

Like David we have an enemy that persecutes our soul. Satan surrounds us and he tempts us into darkness. He reminds us of our sins and our failures. Satan wants us to be overwhelmed in spirit.

Psalm 143:5-6
I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands. I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Selah

When depression overtakes us and the enemy surrounds us we need to stop and remember Jesus. We need to remember what He did on the cross. We need to mediate on the many promises of scripture. We need to stretch forth our hands and thirst for the one who provides living water upon which if we drink deeply of will quench every thirst of our souls.

Psalm 143:7-12
Answer me quickly, O LORD! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD! I have fled to you for refuge! Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground! For your name's sake, O LORD, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies, and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am your servant.

We need to pray like David did. David seeks God in the morning. It is wise counsel to make your first act of the day as you awaken to be prayer. Praise Him as soon as you wake up. Cry out to Him. Ask the Holy Spirit to remind you that your righteousness can only be His righteousness imputed to us by Jesus. Don’t even give the devil a chance to have your day. Give it to God first thing. Be a servant of God and then no matter what you face the rest of the day you can know God is right there and He will carry you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment