Sunday, January 4, 2015

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - January 4, 2015 - Day 141 - Psalm 141


In Hebrews 4:16 we are told to come boldly to the throne of grace. The word used in that passage speaks of our approaching God with confidence and assurance. The second half of that passage explains why we should dare to approach our creator with such audacity. It is so that we may obtain mercy and find grace in our times of need. God wants us to come to Him in prayer. Prayer is simply talking to God. David’s relationship with God transcended the way of the Old Testament which allowed only the High Priest to approach God and in a very specific way. David was not a priest by the order of Aaron as required by the law. David had a faith that took him past that and into the way of the New Testament made way by Jesus at the cross.

Psalm 141:1-2
A PSALM OF DAVID. O LORD, I call upon you; hasten to me! Give ear to my voice when I call to you! Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

David came boldly and simply to God offering prayer that was so pleasing to God it was like the sweet smell of incense and with the reverence of a sacrificial offering.

Psalm 141:3-4
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies!

David came with a repentant heart seeking God’s power to change his heart for he knew if his heart was right his behavior would follow.

Psalm 141:5
Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head; let my head not refuse it. Yet my prayer is continually against their evil deeds.

Most of us cringe at rebuke. We do not want anyone to criticize us. David asked God to send someone to him to bring correction. This is why God could look at such a man with so much sin in his life and still call him a man after God’s own heart.

Psalm 141:6-7
When their judges are thrown over the cliff, then they shall hear my words, for they are pleasant. As when one plows and breaks up the earth, so shall our bones be scattered at the mouth of Sheol.

David prayed for his enemies and he let God be their judge. We need to follow this way for it is what Jesus commands us to do. We are to stay away from evil but we are to pray for the evil man to be saved from God’s wrath to come. It is God’s work to bring vengeance on the wicked. It is our work to be light to them.

Psalm 141:8-10
But my eyes are toward you, O GOD, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless! Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me and from the snares of evildoers! Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by safely.

David was not having a blind eye towards evil. Wicked men were chasing him but rather than asking God to give him the ability to destroy his enemies he asked God to just keep him safe from their plots. David sought refuge in God and part of resting in God is allowing God to be the judge and the one who brings the judgment.

The secret to living out this life for us as the Disciples of Christ is to take refuge in Him. Have faith in God and trust in His timing for the Day of Judgment will come. We must spend our days in bold prayer. We must learn, like David, to be praying that we don’t fall into the traps of Satan, which are designed to drag us into the gutter with the evil ones and to be filled with the same rage and anger they are. Our hope is in His mercy and in His grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment