Monday, January 5, 2015

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - January 5, 2015 - Day 142 - Psalm 142


There are times in our lives when we just feel alone. These feelings can come up on us even while we are surrounded by people. Sometimes even the people closest to us seem to us as if they are plotting against us. Even if these are just unfounded feelings exasperated by a spiritual attack or if those closest to us really are out to get us, the result is that we get depressed and troubled. David wrote psalm 142 while hiding in a cave, all alone and with a physical enemy. But for us as Christians we know that our real battle is spiritual as Paul informs us in Ephesians 6:12 saying, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” The answer is the same for both David and us; prayer.

Psalm 142:1-2
A MASKIL OF DAVID, WHEN HE WAS IN THE CAVE. A PRAYER. With my voice I cry out to the LORD; with my voice I plead for mercy to the LORD. I pour out my complaint before him; I tell my trouble before him.

A maskil is a psalm that instructs us. David instructs us here to not only pray, but in certain times we must cry out to God. There are times of prayer when we silently speak to God but there are also times when we should pour out our complaints through our spoken voices. This is how to tell your troubles to God.

Psalm 142:3
When my spirit faints within me, you know my way! In the path where I walk they have hidden a trap for me.

Like David we often have fallen deeply in despair feeling like traps are set before us. Sometimes it seems we can do nothing right. God sees that. He knows our plight.

Psalm 142:4
Look to the right and see: there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul.

David was alone. Loneliness breeds fear and despair.

Psalm 142:5
I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."

In truth we are never alone. God has promised to never leave us not will He forsake us.

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

 Jesus sent His Holy Spirit to live in us when He ascended back to heaven.

 John 16:7
Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.

Psalm 142:6
Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low! Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me!

David understood what Paul teaches us in 2 Corinthians 12:9
“But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” The first step is humility; admission of our utter helplessness.

Psalm 142:7
Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name! The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me.

When I read these words of David I cannot help but think of the church. We need to be involved in a good church. It has taken me years to understand this wisdom; I will never find the perfect church. I will disagree with some doctrine and some policy. I probably won’t think all the decisions made by the leaders are right. If I look hard enough I could find plenty of excuses to church hop. But if I find a church and seek out the friendships of the saints I will always have encouragement. Christ lives in each and every believer. I must leave my cave and spend time with the saints for they are one way God answers prayers of despair. They may not always look righteous but if they are Christians they, like me, are righteous by the covering of the Blood of Christ.

So today if you are in a cave: cry out to God. Give thanks to His name. Ask Him to send the righteous to surround you. Let God be your refuge. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment