Thursday, April 30, 2020

Authority - How Do We Deal With It


I love the Word of God. I look forward every morning to my time in Bible study. I try and make it the first priority of the day, for if God has chosen to bless me with another day, the least I can do is spend time with Him and make Him first in my heart. And I am committed to reading the Bible from beginning to end, in a complete cycle that goes on over and over.

But as much as I love God’s Word, I struggle to obey it. I agree it’s right. I believe it’s true. I believe I am supposed to obey it. But every now and then I come across things in it, that I really wish weren’t there.

I am rebellious by nature. I don’t like to be told what to do. It’s not that I mind God telling me what to do. I trust in Him being true and righteous. But when it comes to man? Not so much. I struggle with authority. I don’t trust politicians. I don’t trust police officers and the court system of America. My supervisors at work were often poor leaders who made really dumb decisions so I didn’t trust them. But today’s Bible reading smacks me down. Hard.

Take a look.

1 Peter 2:13-17  
Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good.  For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.  Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.  Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

This is God’s Word. It is to be obeyed.

God’s command here is simple. I am to be subject to every human institution. Doesn’t matter at what level. There is no “Yes, but he’s stupid” clause. There is no, “Yes, but I don’t like that” clause. There is no “Yes, but he is a tyrant” clause.

The command is to “Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution.” And God made sure we understood the importance of this command as He repeats it three times in scripture. Romans 13 and Titus 3:1 echo this command.

And then we see in scripture, examples of how men obeyed this command, even at great peril to their lives. Stephan is an example of a life that followed this path. Read Acts 6 through to Acts 8:1. Rather than dispute the authorities that came after him, he used their attack as an opportunity to share the Gospel with those who were against him. This would culminate in his death by stoning. Yet, through it all, he stayed the course. He went to his death calling out to God for mercy and forgiveness to come to those who killed him.

Jesus did the same.

As Christians, this life is not meant to be lived for our comfort and our desires to be met. It is to be lived for Christ.

I don’t like what my government is telling me to do. But I need to humble myself before God and simply be obedient. Unless the authorities are directly telling me to not do what God tells me to do, I must obey. For God’s sake, not my own. Even if this leads up to my death, inflicted by an evil regime.

For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.

God’s words, not mine.

Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.  Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

No comments:

Post a Comment