Monday, March 9, 2020

Faith and Science


By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible. - Hebrews 11:3  

Man has an innate desire for knowledge and understanding. In his quest to attain such knowledge, he created something we call science. Science comes from the Latin word scientia, which means knowledge. Merriam-Webster defines it as “the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding.” Knowledge then is defined as “the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association.

Man has been practicing the art of science since around 3500 years before Christ came. There is probably no greater quest in science than the quest to explain where all this came from. We Christians refer to this as the creation. Every single thing that exists within our entire universe had to come from somewhere. Logically, it would make sense that there must be a “science” to it. There must be a fact or condition of knowing how the creation got here. There must be knowledge distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding.

Yet, in the 5500 some years man has used science to try and explain how everything came into existence, the truth is that he has yet to prove anything. Yes, we have theories. But we do not have knowledge, there are no proven facts that explain the beginning. So far, science has failed us in that area.

Then we have us Christians. And even those who believed in God before the time of Jesus. Hebrews 11:3 is our science. “By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.”

That has just as much factual proof as does the Big Bang Theory. Or any other of man’s scientific efforts to prove where it all began.

I am a very logical person. I’m not the smartest. But I do believe in logic. I have yet to meet or hear anyone speak who can logically explain the universe without admitting that the only logical explanation has to include the concept of something being eternal. Logic completely defies any though that includes the theory that something came from nothing. Yet in our finite, human mind, eternity seems illogical. It’s a bit of a paradox, I think.

Enter the Bible. The Bible says that God is eternal, and He always existed and always will. The Bible says he spoke everything into creation. Interestingly, the Bible never tries to explain how God could be eternal or where He came from. It just says that He is. In the Old Testament, God simply refers to Himself as “I AM.” When Moses asked who he should tell the people sent him, God said, “Tell them I AM has sent me to you.” God has no interest in proving Himself.

It takes faith to believe that. I believe it. Logically, I shouldn’t. I am one of the most untrusting and skeptical people you will ever meet. I question everything. I challenge things people say all the time. I have always tried to prove or disprove what people say. Yet, when I read the Bible and God says I AM, I simply believe that. Since that doesn’t line up with my own logic, I can only believe this; my faith is from God.

Hebrews 11:6 says that “without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”

Hebrews 12:2 says that “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

My logical nature is overridden by the author and perfecter of my faith. I did not drum up this faith. God has given it to me.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God - Ephesians 2:8  

So, I know where we came from and how we got here.

By faith I understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

That’s all I need. How about you? If you took the time to read all this, even if you doubt at this time, God has a message for you.

For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:11-13  

Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near. - Isaiah 55:6  

Have you? Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment