Sunday, April 3, 2016

My Earliest Memory - Day 2 of the 30 Day Writing Challange


As I come to the second day of the 30 Day Writing Challenge I am forced to dig deep into my mind. The challenge today is to write on the topic of my earliest memory. Later this fall I will turn sixty-years old and at this point in my life I struggle to remember how to get back home at night. My mind is filled with clutter. I have far too many passwords and logins that I have to recall as my day goes on. Yet the closer I get to death the more maudlin I seem to get and I find myself looking back into my past on a regular basis. I have become my grandpa and my dad as I long for the “good ole days”. Yet just this past week I was recalling what I believe might be my earliest memory. It seems like the easiest memories to recall and maybe the hardest to forget, are the moments of my life that carried the heaviest emotions.

On this day the farthest back I can go in the recesses of my memory is my first day of Kindergarten. It was a day filled with emotion. It was a day filled with fear. It was I day I don’t expect I will ever forget.

Due to my birthday falling late in October I was held back from starting school until I was just two months from turning six. This would work out well for me academically speaking, as it seemed I was always a step or two ahead of most kids. My sister had actually taught me to read before I attended school and I was told I actually used to read the newspaper at five years old. But in terms of physical development it didn’t give me any advantage; I was the smallest kid to show up that day for our first day of school and I would remain the smallest kid for most of my days as a student.  

So there I was this little skinny kid showing up for his first day of school. Was I scared? No, no way; I was terrified. But if memory serves me well my mom was in worse shape than I was. I remember how badly I wanted to cry, but I had been taught that boys do not cry. Crying just wasn’t allowed according to my dad, so I remember fighting hard to keep those tears in. My mom did not follow that rule. I’m pretty sure the mom’s were instructed to make the break quick and told that it would all be ok, but I know she was crying as she left me to the wolves.

Upon arrival inside the classroom I met my teacher as well as the rest of the class. I have two vivid memories of that moment. First of all my teacher was the prettiest woman I’d ever seen during my short life. I still remember her name; Miss Swofford. I was in love with her the entire year and I also remember how confusing that felt. My mom was my whole world when it came to the female domain but suddenly I realized there was more to women than motherly concern and love.

The second vivid memory of that day was that I was now in class with the biggest and meanest looking kid I’d ever seen. His name was Brad and the name fit. He was about twice my size, sported a flat top haircut, and looked like he had to be a future Marine Corps drill sergeant. But apparently his dad has failed to get the message across that boys don’t cry. He was throwing a screaming, crying fit. He wanted his mommy.


So I learned something important that day. They say the bigger they are the harder they fall. Brad proved that out. I learned that day that size doesn’t matter. Big guys hurt and suffer as much as little guys. Little guys just gotta suck it up and take the pain sometimes. Brad and I would become friends during kindergarten and he was never a threat to me, though there would be plenty of bigger kids along my journey through school who would try and intimidate me. Brad ruined that for them. Whenever I faced a bully I would remember that day and see past the size of the enemy knowing they were mommy’s boys just like the rest of us. Thanks Brad, wherever you are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment