Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Temple of God


I was having a conversation with my son the other day and he mentioned that he has met Christians who do not believe that there are things in life that are spiritual. This stunned me. God says differently in His Word.

 John 4:23-24, "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."

 Yesterday I saw the Spirit of God come over a grown man and bring him to tears. During a Bible study of The Gospel of John we were discussing the church and how God now longer dwells in a temple made by human hands but that He has made His temple in the hearts of His people, the true church. Suddenly this man was unable to speak and tears ran down His eyes. We all just stopped talking. After a few minutes he spoke and said that he was experiencing the happiest moment he had ever felt and began simply praising God. He said for those few minutes he was unable to speak. It was an amazing moment for all of us. There was nothing fake or contrived in it. It was simply the power of God's Word moving in a man and leading him to worship in spirit and truth.

 This man is a former drug dealer who has shot a woman and was himself shot during a drug related gun battle. He grew up in East St. Louis and has seen and done many terrible things. Through the power of the Gospel this man has changed his life. God has chosen him to make His abode.

 I feel concern for anyone who calls themselves a Christian who does not believe in spiritual things. I cannot and do not pass judgment on those who claim Christ as their savior but if I were them I would start reading God’s Word and I would examine myself to see I am in the faith. The Bible is clear that the Holy Spirit is given to all believers at the time of conversion. I would study Ephesians chapter 6. I would become a Berean and search the scriptures daily.

 I have seen many times the hand of God move and in my own life, in spite of my rebellious and sinful nature, have experienced the Holy Spirit’s presence. To see it occur right in front of my eyes in a brother in Christ was a joy-filled experience and I was moved to draw closer to God through it. It was worship experienced in its purest form. Reverent worship, the kind that reminded me of Moses when he came into the presence of God in Exodus 3:4-6, “When the LORD saw Moses coming to take a closer look, God called to him from the middle of the bush, “Moses! Moses!” “Here I am!” Moses replied. “Do not come any closer,” the LORD warned. “Take off your sandals, for you are standing on holy ground. I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” When Moses heard this, he covered his face because he was afraid to look at God.”

 Fellow Christians, we are the Church and we are the Temple of the one and only living God. Let us worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. We should treat each other accordingly, for to treat each other badly is to profane the Temple of God. We should recognize the holiness of God and at times become speechless that He has chosen us be His Temple. That should move us to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment