Tuesday, July 29, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - July 29, 2014 – Day 6


It has been said that for every sigh there is a psalm and today we certainly find that true. Psalm 6 is called a penitential psalm and is one of seven found in the Book of Psalms. What that means is that we find the author, King David, expressing sorrow and repentance for his sin, as well as a cry for forgiveness.

David understood that sin does come with consequences. He cries out to God for mercy in the midst of his suffering.

Psalm 6:1-4
"O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.
My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?
Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.”

Not all sickness is of course a direct result of a sin. But as sinners eventually our sin will wear us down. Alcoholics and drug users look fine in the beginning but the wear and tear of addiction will one day break people down. I remember when I was a telephone installer in North St. Louis back in the late 70’s. Every morning I would pass by the prostitutes out on Olive near the old Gaslight Square and at first observation I thought they were very pretty ladies. But the first time I went to one of their apartments to install a phone I saw a different picture. Years of drug abuse and the lifestyle they lived was revealed behind the make-up. They were only in their early 20’s yet they had faces that looked 50. They were sad and tired, beaten down by their sinful lives. They were broken. David speaks of just that in this psalm describing his condition as faint, his bones in agony, and his soul in anguish.

In verse 4 David knows what he needs as he asks God to “Turn… and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.” He goes on crying out to God in a desperate plea.

Psalm 6:6-7
“I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.”

But see then the change when David has cried out in true repentant sorrow.

Psalm 6:8-10
“Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping.
The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.
All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.”

This is the Gospel my friends. David saw his own sinful nature. He cries out to God confessing his sinfulness and appeals only to God’s mercy. God hears and accepts those come before Him with that simple faith. He hears our cries and sends His mercy to those who come in true repentance.

Every one of us needs God's mercy. All we need do is ask.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment