Saturday, July 26, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - July 26, 2014 – Day 3

Today’s psalm was written by David as he flees from his own son who not only has taken the kingdom from him, but is considering executing his own father. Most of us can relate. Who hasn’t felt betrayed by someone they loved. Psalm 3 has an important lesson for us all. What do we do in the face of betrayal? How do we react in times of peril?

Psalm 3:1-2
"A PSALM OF DAVID, WHEN HE FLED FROM ABSALOM HIS SON. O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. Selah"

David’s fear is real. Absalom has a mighty army in hot pursuit. But even worse it is being said that even God will not save him. But take notice of what ends verse 2, the word Selah. The definition of the word Selah is generally thought to be a meditative pause probably from a musical sense. And this seems to be exactly what David is doing here. Facing possible death and even worse at the hands of his own son, David simply stops and takes a break here. Good advice. In the midst of the difficult times sometimes it pays to just step back, take a breath, and just relax. Selah. I think that’s what it means here.

Having taken a moment to just pause see how David responds.

Psalm 3:3-7
But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah. I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.

David did not fall for the negativity of the world. He knows the faithfulness of God. First he offers God worship calling Him his glory. David cried aloud in prayer and then hears God’s answer. Then he pauses. Having taken God his needs in prayer, David simply goes to sleep in full confidence the God will sustain him. As David awakens from his rest he recognizes it is God who in whom he must have his faith. And then David simply chooses to let God be his defender. Again David calls out to God and asks Him to save Him. And finishes up by saying this verse 8, “Salvation belongs to the LORD; your blessing be on your people!” And then in complete faith in both God’s ability to save and in His willingness to save, David again takes a break. Selah.

Whatever we face in life it is not too big for God. The odds may seem impossible, the pain too great, and the fear to strong. Maybe the most important word is Selah. Why not pause in the midst of the storm and cry out to God. Salvation belongs to God. He is our only hope. Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment