Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Getting Over the Hump of Hump Day


Today is Wednesday, the day that those who go to work every Monday through Friday, call hump day. This is the day that when you get through, you know you are over the “hump’, your work week is halfway finished. Most people long for the weekend. They are like little worker ants, going back and forth to work, over and over until it becomes a monotonous life. The wisest man that ever lived understood the drudgery of this life. Solomon had this say in the Book of Ecclesiastes.

Therefore I hated life because the work that was done under the sun was distressing to me, for all is vanity and grasping for the wind.  Then I hated all my labor in which I had toiled under the sun, because I must leave it to the man who will come after me.  And who knows whether he will be wise or a fool? Yet he will rule over all my labor in which I toiled and in which I have shown myself wise under the sun. This also is vanity.  Therefore I turned my heart and despaired of all the labor in which I had toiled under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 2:17-20


For what has man for all his labor, and for the striving of his heart with which he has toiled under the sun?  For all his days are sorrowful, and his work burdensome; even in the night his heart takes no rest. This also is vanity. - Ecclesiastes 2:22-23


Can you relate? I know there were many days I felt exactly this way during the forty-some years I was in the work force. It all seemed pointless. Truthfully, without the hope we have in Jesus for the eternity to come, it is pointless. If you don’t live with the view of eternal life, you will die one day and someone else will have all that you worked for.

Solomon has a suggestion for those whose life is void of God.

So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a man under the sun except to eat and to drink and to be merry, and this will stand by him in his toils throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 8:15


And that is exactly what so many do. They whine, complain, and drag themselves through the week, living only to party. Some go home everyday and medicate themselves with drinks and drugs just to get through the day to day grind. The problem is this does not satisfy. Solomon knew this; he tested it out. No one partied like him. He had it all and in the end, he found it all to be a waste.

He came to this conclusion when the party ended.

The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.  For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil. - Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

It’s hump day. What will you do with the rest of your week? Your life?

There is a better way. Begin to live for Jesus. Do all things as if it was Him you are doing it for. Go to work and do it to His glory. Spend your time off enjoying life and giving glory to God by finding joy in the hope that this life is merely the path to eternity, where those who know Christ, will live in eternal bliss, unlike anything we can presently know. Listen to the words of Jesus as found in John 10:7-10 , "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.  "All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.  "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.  "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”

There’s a better way. There’s a better life. There’s an abundant life in Jesus.

Today is hump day. But it can be more, so much more.

Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.  For he says, “In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. - 2 Corinthians 6:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment