Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Having A King


Four times in the Old Testament Book of Judges we find this statement.

“In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”
- Judges 21:25

I believe if one was to write a statement about the times we live in it could easily be fit into that truth. But America isn’t a kingdom you say. No, our government is not set up to be a kingdom, but that does not mean we do not have a king.

There was day in which we called ourselves a Christian nation. Though never was America set up to force its people to participate in the specifics of a religious program, any legitimate
 study of history points to the truth that the very essence of our law was designed to mirror the Ten Commandments.

Regardless of what religious affiliation you choose, even if you call yourself an atheist, there must be a moral code to live by. Our founding fathers understood that. Otherwise Judges 21:25 becomes real. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

We have deteriorated into a moral morass as a nation. Moral relativism is what we teach in our universities. What is right for me is not what is right for you. Marriage? We don’t need it. Free love? Have sex with whomever you wish. Adultery runs rampant in our society. Maybe it always did, but now we don’t even blink an eye at it. Homosexuality is not only completely acceptable, it is celebrated. Now we have decided there isn’t even such a thing as gender. Did you get pregnant while frolicking about in a drunken stupor?  Just go abort that piece of tissue. And if you do what I am doing in writing this, or even mention these things, you are labeled a bigot and told you are intolerant. Sadly, even in the church you will be told you aren’t loving enough. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

Now if you have no interest in seeking God’s favor then I have no beef with you. I would like to know where you get your moral code. What makes anything wrong? Because according to the teachings of moral relativism it might be wrong for you but not for me. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

I live in America but I have a King. His name is Jesus. My King has set forth a standard of moral law. When I accepted His offer to spend eternity with Him in Heaven, I agreed that His moral code was the truth. I can no longer do what is right in my own eyes.

Do I fail Him and break His law? Yes, every day. But I do not try and dethrone Him by saying His ways are not right nor do I twist His way to be the way that I am more comfortable with. No, I confess to Him daily that I fall so short, but I agree that I am wrong. He forgives me. His Word says that His mercies are new every single day. He even goes so far as to say that “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” - 1 John 1:9.  Wow. In Him I am made righteous.

But read the next verse. “If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.” - 1 John 1:10.

So, I end with this. If you have no desire to make Jesus your King, then I can only pray for you and hope one day you see that doing what is right in your own eye is going to destroy us as a people. But to us who call on Jesus to be our savior then we must make Him our King. We must stand up and be willing to be part of our King’s army and follow His commands. We serve Him as if He truly is our King. If we don’t? Then I don’t think His Word is in us.


We have a choice. Have a King or don’t. There can be no middle ground. The Book of Judges is clear. Doing what is right in your own eyes will cause trouble. Not having a King is a bad idea. But there is only one King who rules righteously. Put your trust in that King. Jesus. Live in that Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment