Monday, October 31, 2016

There is Hope Even For an Old Guy


This morning is kind of a milestone day for me. First of all I turn 60 today. I guess for many of my friends who are in their 70’s and 80’s this is not old but for those of us who leave the 50’s age group and enter our sixth decade of life it is certainly the entrance into the golden years. Every night when I report to work I take a step back and realize that my working days are numbered and soon retirement will be upon me. It is a bit daunting to take hold of this fact.

This morning also was a milestone for me in that I completed a journey started back in December of last year. This morning I completed my reading of the Holman Christian Standard Bible translation of the New Testament in conjunction with The Wiersbe Bible Commentary. Several years I ago I committed myself to a continual reading of the Bible from beginning to end and as part of that discipline I have been reading the various versions of the Bible. I have also used been using a specific commentary each morning to enlighten me to the teachings of God’s Word as I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me into all the truth of scripture. My desire is that I might be faithful in following the commandment of 2 Timothy 2:15 which calls me to “Be diligent to present (myself) approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.” I encourage each and every Christian to read God’s Word from beginning to end. Though it is good to attend Sunday school and small group studies and we all need to memorize the specific scriptures that bring us comfort, the Bible was written to be read from beginning to end.

As I completed the book of Revelation today, I was moved greatly by the hope the Bible provides. The news and the Internet is a constant barrage of bad news. Violence seems to be increasing and in general the world appears to have fallen into an age of complete sin and rejection of God. Even this election offers no hope that our country will turn back to being a nation that bases itself on God’s law. But the Bible really is clear; God is sovereign and He hasn’t just abandoned us to crash and burn. God has a plan and that plan will come to fruition.

So this morning as I enter my seventh decade of life I have hope. Like all of you my life has had its share of grief, crying, and pain. But listen to the revelation given to John.

Revelation 21:3-4
And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,  and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."

A day is soon coming when this mess we’ve made of things will be cleaned up. Many people wrestle with why God allows suffering but the truth is most of it is of our own doing because we, like Israel of the Old Testament, ignore the basic law of God. God has told us how to live so that it might go well for us but we choose our own will, not His. We live in rebellion against God. But in Christ God has made a way for us sinners to be restored to Him. For those who reject the free gift of salvation there is coming a day when judgment will come down.

Again John was shown the revelation of the judgment and he shares it to us as a warning.

Revelation 20:11-15
Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.  And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.  Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.  And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

But for those whose name is found in the Book of Life there is a great reward coming.

Revelation 21:5-7
And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true."  Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.  "He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.

Yes there is great hope, even for an old guy like me. Jesus is coming back. And when He does He will usher in an eternity where those who by His blood are made holy, will forever bask in His glory and dwell with Him. He will make all things new.

So I live with a sure hope. Do you? It’s not too late. But don’t wait to call out to Jesus for when He comes, He will come quickly.

Revelation 22:20-21
 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.  The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment