Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Using the Platform We’ve Been Given



The recent controversy created by Colin Kaepernick’s refusal to stand during the playing of our national anthem has caused me to realize a simple truth of what it means to be a Christian. Regardless of how you feel about what Kaepernick did, there are a couple of facts we might do well to consider when we examine our own commitment to Christ.  First of all we must admit that he has garnered quite a bit of national attention. And how did he do that? By using the platform he has been given to declare his belief in a cause.

Athletes, movie stars, singers, and any other person of celebrity and fame have a platform that allows them to gain attention simply by virtue of their status in our world. There are a lot of people criticizing Kaepernick for how he chose to use his platform. Personally I have been quietly critical of Christian athletes and celebrities for not using their platforms to be even bolder in their declarations of faith in Jesus. I love Kurt Warner. I know he has done a lot of wonderful Christian acts and has always been a great example of what a Christian should be. But I remember when he first gained fame as quarterback for the Rams he would always speak the name of Jesus every single interview much to the chagrin of the media. But then one day I heard him speak of how Christian leaders had told him to tone it down a notch because he was beginning to be rejected by the world and possibly turning people off to Christ by being so bold. I began to notice that he was following this advice and though he still spoke of faith, it was never quite the same. I silently was critical of this. I have always longed to have a platform such as he, so that I could show the world they would not, could not silence my voice.

Jesus warns us about how we judge matters in scripture. It is a mistake to think He was telling us not to pass any judgments, that is not the point He was making. But as I have watched the Kaepernick thing evolve and hear the criticisms for and against how he used his platform, the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart.

You see I do have a platform. And so do you. Oh, my platform is not as large as Kaepernick’s or Kurt Warner’s, but I have a platform. I have a platform at work where I am a witness to Christ as people see my work habits and hear my complaints. I have a platform at home with my wife, my children, and my grandchildren. I have a platform at Wal-Mart when I shop and interact with both employees and other shoppers. I even have a platform in the parking lot when I compete for the better parking spot. Everywhere I go, as a child of Christ, I am on a platform that God has given me. And what about social media? Oh my, do I have a platform there. I have 204 people who signed on to be my “friend” and that is a platform. I have a Twitter account and a blog and the three of these are electronically woven together. Due to the nature of social media and how it interconnects people, that platform is a worldwide platform. My blog has penetrated China and Russia along with many other countries thanks to the inner workings of social media. Oh yes, I have a platform. And so do you.

So the question we must pause and consider is this; as a Christian am I using my platform to be the light of Christ to a dark and dying world? Am I using my platform everyday to offer encouragement to my brothers and sisters in Christ? Or am I simply using it to whine and moan? Am I using it to show how a Christian is content in all circumstances? Or am I using it to show the world that my life as a disciple of Christ hasn’t made me any different than the unsaved world? I could post scriptural examples to demonstrate the truth of that Jesus has commanded us to use our platforms for His good instead of the way we far too often just communicate our fleshly feelings and opinions, but I will leave that to each who read this to search God’s Word.

The truth is we need to spend a little less time using our platforms to criticize Kaepernick’s use or misuse of his platform and examine ourselves. Though our eternal destination won’t be changed because we weren’t obedient in our use of the platform God gave us, the Bible is clear our words and our actions will be judged in the end.

It’s time I stopped worrying about the size of my platform and just be faithful in how I use that platform. Though the teaching was directly pointed at money I think the principle Jesus lays down here in Luke 16:10 applies, "He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.”

We should take a hard look at ourselves this morning and see how we are using the platform we have been given. Every now and then we should look back at our Facebook, our Twitter, or whatever method of expression we use. We should walk away from every encounter we have with people, whether at work, play, the stores and restaurants we go to, and even at home to see if we were shining the light of Christ.

We live in a dark world. But darkness cannot exist in the light. If we want a bigger platform then we should start by being faithful in using the one God gave us. If we want a better world we must start by being the salt and the light of the world.

I leave you with a scripture reading to consider. Matthew 25:14-30 is the parable of the talents. Take time to read it. Then ask yourself if the platform you have been given is being used in a way that will bring forth these words from Jesus on the day you come before Him to stand in His judgment.

Matthew 25:21
 "His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'

I want to enter the joy of my master. How about you?

Praying these words will encourage us to be His light.

No comments:

Post a Comment