Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Christian Response to Terrorism


My prayers go out to those who suffered injuries and lost loved ones in the cowardly attack by ISIS upon women and children in a park in Pakistan. The temptation is for me to hate and were I still in my youth I would probably be in a recruiting station tomorrow morning enlisting into whichever branch of service that would guarantee the quickest path to fight against these evil people.

But the truth is this; I am a Christian. I already am in an army but it is an army that does not get to extract revenge. My mission is to pray and to take the Gospel out to the far ends of the world.

These are the very words of Jesus.

Matthew 5:43-45
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

My flesh wants revenge. My spirit wants conversion of the very souls who want not only me dead, but my grandchildren as well.

The Christian walk is about faith. We must have faith that God knows what He is doing. We must believe in His Word and that it is true. One of two things will happen to those who perpetuate violence against God's people. They will either come to a saving faith (our part is to pray for and to attempt to bring this about) or they will face His judgment when their day comes.

Both the OT and the NT teach us that vengeance is God's and God's alone. I leave you with the Word of God from the Book of Romans and I ask you join with me in tonight and in the days to come in praying for not only the victims of these terrorist attacks but to pray also for those who commit them. This is not my word. It is God's. It must be honored and obeyed as much as any other scripture.

Romans 12:14-21
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


No comments:

Post a Comment