Saturday, January 9, 2016

Who did Jesus Come to Save?



For a great many years now men have argued about the efficacy of the atonement work of Christ on the cross. One side says Jesus died for all people. The other side says Jesus died for only the elect. Smarter men than I can present great arguments for both statements. Reading through the Gospel of Mark this morning it occurs to me that maybe we are arguing over the wrong issue. There is a story in Mark in which Jesus answers that question but with a different spin. Let us take a look at what the “experts” were saying in Jesus’ day.

Mark 2:15-16
And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him.  And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

The scribes wanted to know why in the world would Jesus hang out with the scum of the earth. You see they believed they were the good people. They were those who supposedly followed the law and were the ones the Messiah should come to. 

But Jesus turned their world upside down. The Gospel’s are filled with stories of Jesus against the Pharisees. They were constantly trying to trap him and He was constantly turning it all back on them. Listen to how Jesus answered their question.

Mark 2:17
And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Jesus died on the cross for sinners. He died on the cross for the lost. We could argue for 2000 years about whether or not the atonement is for the elect or for all but the fact of the matter is it we are missing the point. The more important point is that the work on the cross has no effect on those who think themselves righteous.

I’ve studied it all out for years and quite honestly if you had to label me you would call me a Calvinist. I’m not a fan of labels but call me whatever, I don’t really care. I just read the Bible and believe what it says as best as I believe the Holy Spirit has taught me. But on this topic I think we should be more concerned about sharing the truth of the Gospel to ALL unsaved people. And the truth of the Gospel is that we are all sinners who fall short of the glory of God and because we are all sinners we must humble ourselves and confess to God that we are hopeless without the blood of Christ to cloak us in pure, unadulterated holiness that only He can provide.

So here is the conclusion of all this; if you think you are good enough to face your maker without Jesus then you might as well say Jesus work on the cross is ineffective because it won’t save you.  The Bible teaches that and that cannot be argued by anyone who claims the Bible to be true. I leave you with an OT reading that has both the good news and the bad news. At one time I thought I was ok with God because I simply believed He existed. I was blind but now I see. We must share this truth to others who think as I once did.


Isaiah 57:12-21
I will declare your righteousness and your deeds, but they will not profit you.  When you cry out, let your collection of idols deliver you! The wind will carry them all off, a breath will take them away. But he who takes refuge in me shall possess the land and shall inherit my holy mountain.  And it shall be said, “Build up, build up, prepare the way, remove every obstruction from my people’s way.”  For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite. For I will not contend forever, nor will I always be angry; for the spirit would grow faint before me, and the breath of life that I made. Because of the iniquity of his unjust gain I was angry, I struck him; I hid my face and was angry, but he went on backsliding in the way of his own heart.  I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will lead him and restore comfort to him and his mourners, creating the fruit of the lips. Peace, peace, to the far and to the near,” says the LORD, “and I will heal him.  But the wicked are like the tossing sea; for it cannot be quiet, and its waters toss up mire and dirt.  There is no peace,” says my God, “for the wicked.”

No comments:

Post a Comment