Thursday, August 27, 2015

10 Characteristics of God’s Power


The Apostle Paul says this in Romans 1:16, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.” Scripture teaches us about the Power of God and this morning let us look at ten scriptures that describe God’s power.

1. God’s Power is glorious.
Exodus 15:6
Your right hand, O LORD, glorious in power, your right hand, O LORD, shatters the enemy.


2. God’s Power cannot be defeated.
Deuteronomy 32:39
'See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, And there is no one who can deliver from My hand.


3. God’s Power is unsearchable.
Job 5:8-9
"But as for me, I would seek God, And I would place my cause before God; Who does great and unsearchable things, Wonders without number.


4. God’s Power is mighty.
Job 9:4
"Wise in heart and mighty in strength, Who has defied Him without harm?


5. God’s Power is Great
Psalm 79:11
Let the groaning of the prisoner come before You; According to the greatness of Your power preserve those who are doomed to die.


6. God’s Power is strong
Psalm 89:13
You have a strong arm; Your hand is mighty, Your right hand is exalted.


7. God’s Power is everlasting.
Isaiah 26:4
"Trust in the LORD forever, For in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock.


8. God’s power is effectual.
Isaiah 43:13
"Even from eternity I am He, And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?"


9. God’s Power is incomparable.
Psalm 89:8
O LORD God of hosts, who is like You, O mighty LORD?


10. God’s Power is sovereign.
Romans 9:21-22
Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?


We are reminded of who made this earth and everything in it in Jeremiah 27:5
"I have made the earth, the men and the beasts which are on the face of the earth by My great power and by My outstretched arm, and I will give it to the one who is pleasing in My sight.”

There is no question as to the power of God. Compared to His power man is nothing. Most of us wander this earth in weakness and in failings living as Thoreau so rightly said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.”

Our lives need not be what they are. The power to change is in Jesus Christ who longs to live in our hearts through the power of His Holy Spirit who is promised to all who place their faith in Christ. And the same power that raised Christ from the dead can deliver us from the power of sin. Romans 8:10-11 confirms this promise saying that “If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.”

So let us cry out to Jesus and ask Him to deliver us from our lives of powerless desperation. I leave you this morning with a challenge. Why not this very day make the words of Philippians 3:8-11 the object of your life from now on which says that “I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.”

Let the power of God dwell within you. It’s available to all who bend their knee to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment