Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Being A Disciple


This week our church wrapped up a series called Not A Fan which is based on the book by the same name written by Pastor Kyle Idelman. Basically this study and book focus on the idea that many who claim the name of Jesus are really not committed followers but instead are mere fans of Him. Kyle stays completely within the context of scripture as he teaches on how to know whether we are just a fan or if we are actually a follower of Jesus. The book is great way to change the way we live out our faith and to follow the command of 2 Corinthians 13:5 which instructs us to “Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?”

Why is this important you might ask? I go to church, I give my money, I serve once a week in my local ministry, and I have a little fish sign on the back of my car you probably are saying. I will let Jesus answer this question for you as He clearly states the answer in Matthew 7:21-23,  "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'”

That is not Kyle Idelman nor is that Mike Wood speaking. That is a direct quote right from the mouth of Jesus Christ and it is a solemn warning that every single Christian should read and ponder every day of their lives. Our eternal destination is serious business. And Jesus is serious about what He expects out of those who claim to be His disciples.

Though most of us call ourselves Christians I think if we look at what Jesus wants us to really be is a disciple. After His resurrection and not long before He ascended back into heaven Jesus gave what we call the Great Commission in Matthew 28:19-20 instructing us to "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

What Jesus wants are disciples. So what is a disciple? A lot of people think the 12 Apostles were the only disciples and the names are interchangeable. In one sense all Christians are apostles because the word simply means sent ones or a messenger sent forth with orders. The word disciple in its simplest form means one is a pupil or a student but Biblically it speaks of being a student of Jesus who follows Him and not only listens to His teachings but also makes it his life goal to become like Him. So every single true Christian is a disciple who follows Christ with the purpose of becoming just like Him.

I am taking a look right now in my personal study on what being a disciple really means in my life and in my next several blogs I hope to share a little more insight into what Jesus expects of His disciples. I look forward to sharing more next time. I hope God blesses you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment